Endorsement of the Deed of Variation
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the draft Planning Agreement.
All feedback was considered and reported to Council on Tuesday 19 October 2021 where Council resolved to endorse the Deed of Variation. To view a recording of the meeting, click here.
The Deed of Variation will be posted on this page in the coming weeks.
A Voluntary Planning Agreement (VPA) is an agreement Council can enter into with a developer. Under these agreements, a developer agrees to provide or fund public amenities, public services, affordable housing or other infrastructure as a condition of building their development.
The City of Canada Bay Council entered into a VPA with Walker Street Development Pty Ltd and Billbergia Pty Ltd in December 2014 for the Rhodes West Station Precinct development.
The VPA will see the community enjoy a number of new public amenities, including the construction and fit-out of a new Council-owned recreation centre at 34 Walker Street, Rhodes, involving:
- A gym
- A social enterprise café and community kitchen
- A childcare centre
- Allied health services
- Multi-use courts with a viewing mezzanine
- Outdoor play area, and more.
We have recently updated the designs for Rhodes Recreation Centre and these updates are captured in the latest Deed of Variation, which you can provide your feedback on below.
Draft planning agreement - Deed of Variation #2
Council is seeking to modify the VPA through a second Deed of Variation (DOV#2). The key changes within the draft DOV#2 include:
- Inclusion of a revised concept design and concept design cost plan
- Changes to the project delivery structure from a design and construct contractual engagement to a ‘turn-key’ handover to Council by the Developer.
The main changes are:
- Deletion of the aquatic centre
- Revised recreation centre layout
- Larger childcare centre (70 places)
- Fit out of Council spaces (community space, childcare centre and recreation centre)
- Mezzanine viewing area
- Shared services arrangement
- Revised delivery structure (‘turnkey’) by the Developer
- Revised consultant costs and provisional sums.
Have your say
You are invited to review the draft planning agreement (DOV#2) and provide feedback by completing the form below. To review the draft planning agreement (DOV#2), click here. The documents referenced in Schedule 5 are provided as separate attachments in the Document Library on this page.
You can also submit feedback via:
- Email: email@example.com with the subject: Rhodes Recreation Centre Deed of Variation
- Phone: 9911 6266 or 9911 6555
- Mail: Attn: General Manager, City of Canada Bay, Locked Bag 1470 Drummoyne NSW 1470
Feedback closes Wednesday 29 September 2021 at 5pm.
All feedback will be considered before the draft Deed of Variation #2 is finalised and presented to Council for adoption.